March 31, 2013

Learning


For the last few months I've been spending a day a week with potter Gary Healey. Each week he stretches me, pushes me further and challenges me with projects and problems.

Gary's guidance and support has given my confidence.  He's moved me from 500grams to 5kg and encouraged me to attempt forms I never would've thought possible (like the two piece bottle and large bowl above).

There are very few places left where pottery skills are taught or passed on as Tafe and University courses close down. And so it's fallen to individuals, to potters like Gary, to make sure this knowledge is not lost.

I am incredibly lucky to have been given an opportunity to learn from Gary and I try to squeeze every drop of pottery goodness out of our Wednesday's at the wheel.

No comments: